Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Churros



Sweat: 15%
Sweet: 85%

¡HOLA! I love Spain. It is one of my favourite countries. I went there with my sister this summer to visit my best friend. Although it was my fourth time to travel to this beautiful country, it was my first time to try churros. Unsurprisingly, I felt in love with them and decided to make some. I found a lot of recipes from the web, some called for eggs, some without, some called for plain flour and some called for a mix of plain and self-raising flour. I compared a few and decided to go for the one without eggs. They turned out absolutely fine, and the dark chocolate sauce that accompanied the churros was divine. If you are making them, try to finish them (share with family, friends or neighbours) within the same day. They are best served fresh and warm. 


Ingredients:

50g Unsalted butter
250g Plain flour
200ml water
Sunflower oil
Pinch of Salt
Sugar for dusting
100g dark chocolate
150g double cream
3 tbsp golden syrup

Method:

1. Break dark chocolate into pieces. Melt chocolate in bain-marie. When melted, stir in double cream and golden syrup. Set aside. 
2. Boil water and butter in a saucepan.  Sift flour and a pinch of salt into the liquid. Keep stirring until it forms a sticky and soft dough.
3. Place mixture into the piping back (with a star-shaped nozzle). Let it rest in the fridge. In the mean time, heat the oil. When the oil is hot enough for deep-frying, get the piping bag out from the fridge. Squeeze out churros into
the hot oil and cut them with a scissors to the length you like. You can make short ones or very long ones. Be careful not to overcrowd the frying pan. Fry few at a time.
4. When the churros turn golden brown, take them out from the hot oil and place them on a plate of sugar and coat generously.
5. Pour the chocolate sauce into one or more serving glass(es). Serve the churros with the sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment