Monday, November 5, 2012

Banana cake? Bread bread?


Sweat: 12%
Sweet: 88%

Should we call it a banana cake? Or should we call it a banana bread? This argument will never end. I think I will stick with 'banana cake' for this post since I have baked it with a cake mould. Some weeks ago, I came across this banana cake recipe on a Japanese website. The publisher claimed that it was a recipe that she had been using this recipe since high school. Very safe and sound. I decided to give it a try. And it turned out just perfect! When I asked my brother to smash the bananas, he also vomited. He said to me that he would not try it but guess what! He totally loved it! We finished the whole cake in three days. A slice each morning as breakfast or in the afternoon with a cup of earl grey (that was for me). I made slight changes to the original recipe. Instead of using 120g sugar, I have mixed 100g sugar and 2 tbsp of maple syrup. The recipe also called for mixed nuts to your liking. I knew walnuts would go great with banana but I went for poppy seeds. 



Ingredients:

2 Bananas 
2 Eggs
1tsp Vanilla extract
2tsp Lemon juice
2tsp Baking Powder 
110g Unsalted butter (room temperature)
120g Sugar120g All purpose flour


Method:

1. Preheat the oven to 180° C. Mash bananas with a potato masher. Add vanilla extract and lemon juice to the mashed bananas and mix well. 

2. Separate yolks from whites. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks. Set aside. In another bowl, beat the softened butter, sugar and yolks. Fold in the mashed banana mixture. 
3. Sift the flour and baking powder. Add the flour mixture into the banana &egg mixture. Fold in the egg whites.
4. Butter and flour the cake/bread mould. Pour the batter into the mould. Add nuts to your choice.
5. Bake for 40-45 minutes. Let it sit for 10 minutes before transferring onto the cooling rack. Dust icing sugar on top and serve. 



This recipe is definitely a keeper. Have a go! 

No comments:

Post a Comment