Sunday, November 11, 2012

Beef and spinach dumplings 餃子


Sweat: 10%
Sweet: 90%

I rarely ask for dumplings when I dine out. Not because I am not a fan, but because I am not a pork eater and 9 out of 10 times I will be given pork dumplings unless stated otherwise. Some people say I miss out a lot of delicious food for being a non-pork eater but to me I am very satisfied with beef, chicken and seafood. So being a non-pork eater does not bother me at all. If I crave for dumplings, I can always make beef or chicken ones. 

Making dumplings at home are not as complicated as you may think, especially when you are using supermarket-bought dumpling wraps. The wrapping part may scare newbies away but it is actually really easy. I have never learned how to wrap dumplings in a fancy way but to me, as long as the fillings do not leak out during the boiling stage, I am a happy bunny. Trust me, freshly cooked dumplings are way better than frozen ones. Try it! Have fun and enjoy!





Ingredients:

500g Minced beef
100g Spinach
6-8 Shiitake mushrooms
Dumpling wraps
Soy sauce
Shaoxing rice wine 
Sugar
Oyster sauce
Sesame oil
pepper
Flour

Method:

1. In a mixing bowl, add minced beef, chopped spinach and diced shiitake mushroom (if using dried mushrooms, soak them in hot water for an hour before dicing). 
2. Seasoning. Add 3 tablespoons of soy sauce, 2 tablespoons of sugar, 2 tablespoons of sesame oil, 2 tablespoons of oyster sauce, 1 tablespoon of Shaoxing rice wine, 2 tablespoons of water and a pinch of pepper into the bowl. Mix well. 
3. Place a piece of dumpling wrap on your palm and place about 1 tablespoon of mixture on the dumpling wrap.  Moist the round edges with water and fold it to a half moon shape. Place the dumplings on a floured plate. 
4. In a pan, add chicken stock and bring it to a boil. Add dumplings to cook, no more than 10 at a time. It will take about 5 minutes to cook.

1 comment:

  1. Let me try to make dumplings after I finished my essays....which needs to be in Dec

    ReplyDelete