Monday, November 19, 2012

Beer battered fish and chips


Sweat: 8%
Sweet: 92%

I am a big fan of steamed fish. Back home, my mom buys fresh fish from the market every single day and thus a fish dish is always on the dining table. However, in this country, I believe unless you visit a proper fish market (at 3am in morning) it is very unlikely to buy live fishes from your local fish monger. 

My brother and I went food shopping yesterday and bought some cod fillets. I decided to give the best known British dish a go. Fried fish is not really my thing but I do love this beer battered fish. I also fried some onion rings (using the same batter) and hand-cut chips (normal and sweet potatoes) to accompany the fish. Fatty fatty! If I had a blender, I would have made my own tartar sauce. 










Ingredients:

4 Cod fillets
250ml Ale or beer
200g Flour
Salt
Pepper
Crispy rapeseed oil

Method:

1. In a bowl, mix flour, a pinch of salt and pepper. Whisk in the ale or beer of your choice until you have a thick batter with no lumps. Let the batter sit for about half an hour.
2. Heat the oil in a pan. When the oil is hot enough, dip the cod fillets (or fish of your choice) in the batter and gently place in the oil. Do two at a time. Since the batter will expand in the oil, do not overcrowd the pan. When turned golden brown both sides, take fillets out and lay them on a wire rack or a plate with paper towels. Serve with tartar sauce and lemon wedges. If making onion rings, just slice the onions into rings, throw them in the batter and deep  fry.

No comments:

Post a Comment