Friday, November 9, 2012

Dinner party at JoJo's



When my friends and I were food shopping a few days ago, they insisted on having puff pastry soup at my place this Thursday. So we had a small dinner party last night. We all wanted a bit of seafood so we decided to go for cream of seafood soup. It was very easy to whip up: made the roux - butter and flour, poured in chicken stock (forgot to buy fish stock), added what was left over from the seafood risotto - haddock, shrimps, crabsticks and asparagus, as well as scallops freshly bought from the fish market and a generous amount of double cream as a finishing touch.  Use a ladle to transfer the cream soup to the soup bowls (make sure they are safe to go in the oven) and cover the bowl with a squared puff pastry. Let them sit in the oven until pastry is puffed up and golden brown. 


In my experience, chicken thighs took less time to roast than a whole chicken so I picked up two boxes of chicken thighs from the supermarket. Trimmed the   extra fat. Seasoned them with garlic pepper, black pepper, sea salt flakes, butter, olive oil, cloves of garlic and fresh rosemary. I love fresh rosemary! Rosemary loves potatoes. So I chopped up some new potatoes and threw in some cherry tomatoes on the vine to add a bit of sweetness to the dish.


Bread is probably the best friend of soup. Instead of just toasting some bread, I made garlic ciabatta. Whilst mincing the garlic, I realised I had totally forgotten the fresh basil! At that moment, how I wish I had those little pots of herbs at home so I could pick whatever I wanted. Oh well, without the basil the garlic ciabatta still tasted nice, just not as nice as having basil in it. 


For dessert, I made matcha panna cotta. Check out my recipe here

No comments:

Post a Comment