Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Fruit scones


Sweat: 10%
Sweet: 90% 

Having lived in the United Kingdom for over 12 years, I will be ashamed if I can not bake scones - the key of cream tea or British afternoon tea. Personally I like fruit scones a lot more than the plain ones so whenever I bake them, I only bake fruity ones, unless plain ones are requested. Although they can be stored for 2-3 days, freshly baked scones are just so nice that they are hard to resist. I do not like to bake a lot of scones at a time, knowing that the longer I store them, the less tastier they will be. If you are baking them, remember to have clotted cream and jam in the fridge ready to be served with the scones, or else you will regret it! Yes, clotted cream and jam work wonders with scones. Not that I have to tell you I am sure :) Enjoy!





Ingredients:

225g All purpose flour
150ml milk
50g Butter
30g Caster sugar
50g Sultanas
3tsp Baking powder
1/2tsp Salt
1 egg

Method:

1. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C. Line baking paper on a tray. 
2. Sift flour, baking power and salt in a mixing bowl. Add cubed butter in. Using fingertips, quickly rub the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles find breadcrumbs.
3. Add sugar and sultanas into the mixture. Make a well in the centre. Stir in milk little by little until it becomes a dough. If the dough it too sticky, add a little flour.
4. Flour the board and place the dough on the board. Knead lightly. Cut into shapes you prefer (usually rounds or triangles).
5. Place on baking tray. Eggwash the scones and bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer to a cooling rack. Serve with jam and clotted cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment