Monday, November 26, 2012

Pão de queijo


Sweat: 6%
Sweet: 94%

Friends and I went to a Brazilian restaurant last month. The food did not surprise nor disappoint me because to me anything cooked on a barbie would taste nice anyway. But one thing I took from the food counter really impressed me and that was Pão de queijo, or in English, cheese puffs/buns. These little babies were absolutely unforgettable! Crunchy on the outside, soft and gooey on the inside. How could one not dream of having them again and again. 

The reason why these buns are soft and gooey lies in the flour. Instead of the plain flour, which is generally used for baking, this recipe calls for tapioca flour. It is a total stranger to me but unbelievably easy to get hold of. 




My batch of Pão de queijo looks absolutely perfect, at least to me. I have never baked buns/bread in my life so this is a huge success! Although if I was doing it again, I would make them smaller. My dad is of course the expert. I am still waiting for his comments! HA:D

In my own experience, they are best eaten when warm. If you are making a big batch, reheat them in the oven for a little while before serving. Enjoy!



Ingredients:

2cup Tapioca flour
1/4cup Vegetable oil
1/2cup Milk
2 Eggs
1cup Cheese (1/4  Parmesan & 3/4 Cheddar)
1 tsp Sea salt

Method:

1. Preheat the oven to 190 degrees C. In a sauce pan, simmer milk and oil. 
2. Mix tapioca flour and sea salt in a bowl. Using a wooden spoon, slowly incorporate the mixture to the liquid (milk and oil). Cool the dough for a few minutes. 
3. When the dough is cooled, add eggs, one at a time and knead the dough with the spoon. Add cheese and knead.
4. Divide the dough into small round balls and place them on a baking paper. The dough will be sticky to work with so use a scoop. Bake them in the oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown. 

No comments:

Post a Comment