Saturday, November 17, 2012

Salt and pepper squid


Sweat: 8%
Sweet: 92%

My brother is the biggest fan of squid. I have made stuffed squid a couple of times in the past which he really likes but he says he wants something different this time. 

I remember watching one of the videos of chef Ko (a renowned chef in Hong Kong) a while ago on 'the perfect salt and pepper squid' so I decided to give it a go. It was pretty easy to prepare but the end result did not look anything close to his 'perfect squid'. Oh well, I am just a very enthusiastic amateur who loves cooking a lot *disguising my not-so-perfect-squid'*! LOL Although my squid looked nowhere near Chef Ko's, my brother and I did enjoy it very much. 


As well as being a main dish, salt and pepper squid makes a very good snack to go with beer. 


Ingredients:

2 Squid tube
3 Garlic cloves
1/2 Shallot
2 Chillies
ShaoXing wine
Potato flour
Sunflower oil
Sesame oil
Salt
Black pepper

Method:

1. Cut the squid tube lengthwise. Score the surface diagonally and cut into bite size pieces.
2. In a pan, bring water to a boil. Add a splash of ShaoXing wine in the boiling water. Quickly run the squid pieces in the boiling water for about 30 seconds. Take them out and dry them thoroughly with kitchen towel. Season with a pinch of salt, a pinch of sugar and a little bit of ShaoXing wine. Lightly coat the pieces of squid with potato flour. Shake off any excess.
3. Fill the wok with sunflower oil. When hot, fry the squid pieces for about 2 minutes. Set aside.
4. Heat another wok or pan, add sesame oil, minced garlic, chopped shallots and chillies. When slightly golden brown, add squid pieces back and give it a good stir. Sprinkle ground peppercorn over the top. Serve with sweet chilli sauce. 

No comments:

Post a Comment