Monday, December 3, 2012

Earl grey macarons


Voilà, my very first batch of macarons. I am more than thrilled that they turn out so well (at least to me). For an amateur, I know I should have gone for the plain ones but I always walk a mile further so I end up baking some earl grey macarons. The recipe I used was from YOO EATZ. Instructions were very clear so these babies were pretty easy to pull together, albeit my skills have yet to be mastered. If you are interested in baking them, I highly recommend reading this article on macaron myths. 

I am no expert in any European languages but when it comes to food and brands, I try my best to remember the proper pronunciation. I insist on pronouncing 'macaron' the right way, yes, the French way. If I go to a Spainish restaurant, I say the word "PAELLA" in Spanish instead of pa-e-LA. Pa-e-LA just sounds horrendous to me. Well this is me, as fussy as it may seem. LOL


Anyways, back to baking macarons. Now that I have so-called accomplished it, I can move on to other flavours. I want to do three to four different flavours and pack them in a box for my friends this Christmas. Currently on my mind are matcha, yuzu rosewater and coffee. I hope they will turn out fine when I go them later this month. But first of all, I need to order some macaron boxes from ETSY, a site selling a lot of vintage and handmade stuff. 

*QUICK TIP* For beginners, draw circles on a parchment paper, flip it over, place it on the oven tray and pipe. That way, you get perfect circles but more importantly IN THE SAME SIZES! I could not be bothered and ended up with circles of different sizes. You can check out my photos below. By the way, making macarons need a lot of love because they are so delicate. Do not attempt to make them when you are in a bad mood! HAHA :D



















Recipe adapted from YOO EATZ
For the macarons
Ingredients
  • 2 egg whites, at room temperature
  • 5 tbsp. granulated sugar
  • 1/2 c. almond meal (I would recommend an extra 2 tbsp. given my results)
  • 1 c. confectioners sugar
  • 1 tsp. Earl Grey tea leaves

Method: 
  1. In the bowl of an electric mixer with the whisk fitting, beat the egg whites over medium-high speed until they begin to froth. Add sugar, 1 tbsp. at a time, incorporating well after each addition. Continue beating until eggs whites are glossy and stiff peaks form. Remove the bowl from the mixer.
  2. In a separate bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients until well blended. Add half of the dry mixture to the egg whites, and fold gently from the outside in using a rubber spatula, until all ingredients are well combined. Repeat with the other half of the dry mixture.
  3. Test the consistency of the batter by scooping up some of it with the spatula and letting it fall back into the bowl. If it falls heavily in chunks (or not at all), you will need to press some of the air out: with the rubber spatula, begin scraping from the outside in, and then press down on the center with the flat of the spatula (you can also press the batter against the side of the bowl). After repeating 5 times, test the batter consistency again. It should resemble magma, slowly dripping off the spatula back into the bowl and easily absorbing back into the batter at the bottom. If still too thick, press the air out a few more times being careful not to over mix.
  4. Pour batter into a pastry or gallon-sized Ziplock bag (fit the pastry bag with a piping tip first). If using a Ziplock bag, snip 1/4" from one corner, twist up the loose end, and pipe onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet so that the macarons are about 1" to 1-1/2" in diameter and about an inch apart. You can stencil circles on the back of the parchment paper in advance if it helps you make more consistently sized macarons. When all the batter is piped out, firmly rap the baking sheet on the counter a few times, then let rest for about 30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 300º.
  5. After the macarons have rested, bake in oven for about 12-13 minutes, keeping an eye on the tops to ensure they don't brown. Remove from oven, lift parchment paper with macarons onto a wire rack and let cool completely before filling.

For the buttercream filling:
Ingredients:
  • 2 egg yolks
  • 1/4 c. granulated sugar
  • 3-1/2 tbsp. milk
  • 7 tbsp. butter, at room temperature
  • 3 tbsp. honey (I have skipped the honey)

Directions:
  1. In a small heat-proof bowl, beat the egg yolks. Add sugar, and whisk until light in color, creamy, and sugar granules no longer show. Add the milk, and whisk until well incorporated.
  2. Pour mixture into a small saucepan, and heat over low heat until the mixture becomes thick and custard-like. Remove from heat, pour back into original bowl, and whisk until it cools to room temperature.
  3. In a separate bowl, mash up the butter until it resembles mayonnaise. Add half of the butter to the egg mixture and stir well to incorporate. Repeat with the other half of the butter, and then stir in the honey. Refrigerate for about 30 minutes until firm (but not hard) before piping between two macaron halves.

2 comments:

  1. did you honey buttercream separate or melt really quickly after piping it on the macarons?

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look great! My daughter, age 13, made macarons for the first time last night. I think I am going to try these this weekend!

    ReplyDelete