Sunday, August 11, 2013

Oeufs en cocotte (Eggs in pot)




Sweat: 4%
Sweet: 96%

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, mom reminds me all the time. But sometimes, especially on a Sunday, I just want to skip breakfast (that is if I am already awake :P) and go straight to lunch, or brunch in this case. Usually, I do not crave for a bigger portion of food, but I always want something that can fill me up and make me satisfied. Oeufs en cocotte is just perfect. Apron on! 

To create this little French dish, you only need two key ingredients - eggs and crème fraîche. If you want to add a bit of your own twist into the dish like I do, feel free bring in the creativity. After all,  it is your plate of food and if you are happy with it, that is what it matters.  But of course if you are cooking for others, make sure the ingredients you put in the pot are something that they will eat, i.e. do not put meat/fish in if your guest is a vegetarian, you know what I mean! :) On my chopping board I have shallots, mushrooms, spinach and smoked salmon. Together they become my little add on to this classic dish. Scroll down to the bottom for the recipe.















Everything seemed perfect until the moment I dipped my croissant toastie in the egg yolk and BANG! I totally forgot my cheese!! How could I? Well, allow me to spare a few seconds to compliment myself, it still tasted very good, almost perfect, but next time I WILL remember the cheese :)


Something totally unrelated to food/cooking, if you are not interested just skip this bit and go straight to the recipe. I am currently re-reading my second favourite booking <Where rainbows end> by Cecelia Ahern. My favourite book of all time comes from the same author - not hard to guess I suppose? Yes, the international bestselling novel - <PS I love you>. I remember crying so many times when reading it but I did not like the movie. Such a shame, books are always way better than movies.  So knowing that they are currently filming <Where rainbows end> totally reminds me of the excitement I had with <PS I love you> but also the disappointment after watching the movie. I hope they do it justice this time. 

Below is my favourite quote from the book, it hurts, but so true: 

“Life is funny isn’t it? Just when you think you’ve got it all figured out, just when you finally begin to plan something, get excited about something, and feel like you know what direction you’re heading in, the paths change, the signs change, the wind blows the other way, north is suddenly south, and east is west, and you’re lost."




Ingredients: 

1 Egg
Crème fraîche
Shallot
Mushrooms
Smoked salmon
Spinach 
Oliver oil
Butter
Salt 
Pepper
Paprika
Croissant (or French baguette)
Chives 

Method:

1. Preheat the oven to 180 C.
2. Heat the pan with olive oil and butter. Saute diced shallots and sliced mushrooms. In another pan, quickly run the spinach in the hot water. Drain and chop. 
3.  Put a (generous) dollop of crème fraîche to the bottom of the ramekin. Add salt and pepper (I like spice so a bit of chilli salt for me). Add the shallot-mushroom mix in, then chopped spinach following by smoked salmon (you may also want to chop them into small slices). Give it a good stir. It looks decent enough to just eat it like that I know but do not be tempted :) Once nicely stirred, crack an egg on top of the mixture.
4. Place the ramekin in a bain-marie (water bath) and place it in the oven to cook for about 12-15 minutes, depending on how runny you want your egg to be. 
5. Whilst it is baking in the oven, get a non stick pan and place some sliced croissants on it. Let them sit on the pan. No oil needed as the butter from the croissants will help the toasting process. 
6. Place the ramekin on a plate. Sprinkle paprika and of course my favourite Maldon sea salt flakes and garnish it with two chives or chopped chives if you prefer. Sit the croissant toasties next to them and dig in :)


*** I have not written down the exact amount of ingredients for this particular recipe because it is really entirely up to you as to how much of the ingredients you use. You can have more mushrooms, less spinach, the other way round or even be creative and use the ingredients that you love. Enjoy! ***


No comments:

Post a Comment