Sunday, January 5, 2014

Sunday pancakes + hot chocolate



Sweat: 3%
Sweet: 97%

Here comes the long awaited Sunday. A day in which a lot of rest is needed. A day in which a long bath (accompanied by good music and candles) is needed. A day in which comforting food is needed. Comforting food? Hmm...pancakes fit perfectly into the picture. 


    

    





Pancakes from scratch may sound a little scary because of the word "scratch" but it totally is not. In fact, I can promise you that it will only take less than half an hour including measuring ingredients, mixing them together and the 10 minute wait for the baking powder to activate. And since it is not something that you make everyday, why not spare a little bit of time to do them properly and enjoy the wonderful results afterwards. You will not regret it. 

Oh, if you are like me, who is quite adventurous when it comes to cooking, try substituting buttermilk for regular milk as buttermilk makes the pancakes fluffier. That is if you want some scrumptious, fluffy pancakes. I do not see why one will not. 




















Have I ever mentioned how much I love maple syrup? I once said to a friend of mine, who currently lives in Canada, that I wish I could swim in a pool of maple syrup and that I would bring all my food to the pool, coat them in maple syrup and eat them all. She thought I was nuts. No wonder why! 

If you are like me, where maple syrup is actually a rather expensive item to shop from supermarkets (when compared to golden syrup), be VERY sensible when pouring it over the pancakes. I have to always remind myself this whenever I allow myself to eat with maple syrup or otherwise I may have finished one whole bottle in one dish/meal. YES, I AM THAT CRAZY!


Usually I will go for tea, Earl Grey to be specific, when eating sweet things. But today, I was craving for hot chocolate since I woke up so I decided to treat myself. I was in a hurry when making the hot chocolate because my pancakes were screaming loud or else I would have cracked an amaretti biscuit and sprinkle it on top of the cream before adding the marshmallow. It still tasted good though. 

I have to spare a few lines to talk about this beautiful set of cup and sauce. I totally adore them. I got them in early December from Urban Outfitters when they were doing a secret online sale and almost all the letters were gone when I knew about it. Fortunately I managed to grab the last set of letter "J" and I was more than thrilled when I received them in the post, just as stylish and elegant as seen in the photos. I think Urban Outfitters has stopped selling these but if you are interested in stocking some yourself, you can still get them from NotOnTheHighStreet.com (not on sale though).

Okay, enough talking, moving onto the recipe:

Ingredients:

1cup Buttermilk
1cup Plain flour
1/4cup Sugar
1 Banana (plus a small one to be sliced and place on top of the pancakes) 
1 Egg
1tbsp Vegetable oil/melted butter
1tsp Vanilla essence 
2tsp Baking powder
1/4tsp Baking soda
1/4tsp Salt
Icing sugar
Maple syrup
Blueberries (optional)

Method:

1. Mash the banana in a bowl. Add buttermilk, an egg, vegetable oil/melted butter and vanilla essence and mix well.
2. Combine the dry ingredients in another bowl, i.e. flour, baking powder, sugar and salt.
3. Sift the dry ingredients into the wet mixture. Mix well. Let it sit for around 10 minutes.
4. Slightly butter a non-stick pan. Pour the mixture, approximately 1/4 cup for each pancake, onto the pan. When the edges of the pancake begin the dry out and bubbles coming through, flip to cook the other side. When both sides are cooked, place the pancake onto the serving plate. Repeat this step and stack 3-4 pancakes (more if you wish). 
5. Place sliced bananas on top of the pancakes. Drop a handful of blueberries if desire. Sprinkle icing sugar. And a final touch of maple syrup (the more the merrier!). Enjoy :)

1 comment: